Monday, February 1, 2010

Fragmentation

Things I'm grateful for today:

Ok, yes, I have cancer, but it's treatable and has a high success rate. If you want to look it up, it's called papillary carcinoma of the thyroid. I'm trying to see this as a grand leveller of priorities...a get-your-spiritual-act-together message from god. I haven't stopped eating fast food yet, but I'm working on it.

I am a little over two months off of all alcohol. This transition has not been difficult, as the only partying I was doing was at home, with Jeff. Since going off, I've lost about five pounds. I don't miss it very much; in this, I am lucky. One of my colleagues quit around the same time, and he craves it daily.

Teaching is going well, in spite of my post-surgery, scratchy, fade-in/fade-out voice. I love my job. I was so lucky to get this job. I feel liked and respected at work. The coffee is free.

I have an incredible partner in Jeff. We're not at our best right now, as we've sacrificed almost every spare moment for the girls, but I'm working on that. We've been through a lot of hard events: being poor for years, infertility, double-whammy parenthood, moving a lot, and now cancer...and we've done none of it gracefully, but I think we both realize that we couldn't have done half of it with anyone else.

Sophie and Lucy. I am sometimes terrified at the thought of the responsibility, and a lot of times I feel I have no perspective on motherhood, but there they are in their perfect Sophie and Lucy-ness. Today I am wishing they would not climb up on boxes to reach things that were previously safely out of reach. Yesterday one of them crapped in the tub, but it made me laugh because I'm sure it was Sophie. She's that kind of kid.

So today is a low day. I had a breakdown in 1999 over a semi-similar health issue, and this is the closest I've come to feeling like that again. I don't mean to sound scary, but I have been taking some solace in the thought that if I die of this cancer, in some ways it would be a relief from the plateloads of plot I've forced into my life over the last few years. Check, please! How maudlin of me. I also feel that if I weren't taking Paxil right now, I would have to be scraped off the floor, emotionally speaking. So the pill gives me the strength to feel ambivalent about death? Yay.

But I didn't start this blog to kvetch. I would like it to be more like a blues song, you know, the one that helps you transcend blue.

Hope looks to me like:

a rake in the forest
a wooden hot tub (I would rather have this than kitchen counters)
a relaxation cd on my bitty pod (please don't laugh)
a smelly candle
an Edwardian couch
a nice old parlor piano on which I can play maudlin ragtime
a regular revolving door of old friends and new friends who will become old friends

Some people have to force themselves to balance their checkbook or whatever. I have no problem sitting in my Inner Station with my imaginary mega screens broadcasting my net worth, calculating the next move like life is a Chinese puzzle, or like your soul can be metaphorized into a chess game. I have a sick knack for that, like I do for fixing people's resumes or timing the market. What I'm not so good at is enjoying the fruits of my labors. Or just sitting around dreaming. Or creating something unusual, on purpose. Fiddling with no real purpose. Slowing down to do simple things. I have an estranged relationship with food.

Don't confuse this with hedonism. I just want to be more wise.

I would like there to be less electricity in my house, but if I lose my job I will probably become an electrician.

Other good news: I am where I belong (or at least nearly there). I'm close enough to smell the conifers.

Lucy has been carrying a pine cone around for the last few days, which I think is healthy.

The girls woke up at 4 a.m. and the giant moon was setting in the west window like a public service announcement from god. Good thing we'd been working on "moon" all week. You should have seen L's face. Yeah, kid, aren't you glad to be alive?

11 comments:

  1. Hmm, what hope looks like to you sounds an awful lot like an Edward Gorey picture to me. This is not surprising.

    Please let us know if we can help in any way. Ray is always up for chasing toddlers in circles.

    Love and many hugs,
    Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  2. As it should be, the joys of poop in the tub trump the joys of Paxil - as always, love you J.C....!

    Would love to help in any way - even if it's just getting up to the Napa pad more often. Lemme know!
    j.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Julie, I am a friend of Renata, and she shared your link with me. You sound amazingly upbeat, given the circumstances. What you say about you and your partner is beautiful, the challenges you've through together, perhaps not as gracefully as you wanted, but you both are committed, it seems, don't run away from obstacles, and now have a strong history that you share.

    Your two beautiful girls do bring smiles, even to your blog readers! Such perky names!

    But what strike me the most about your blog entry are the intentions: fiddling with no purpose, sitting around dreaming, slowing down to do simple things, creating something unusual on purpose. Yes, yes, yes, yes!!!!

    I will hold you in my heart during this time of healing. Renata told me that you participated in that wonderful Birds panel in Vancouver last summer with her. Now that sounded like so much fun.

    More sitting and dreaming and teaching your girls how to, so that they will let their mom do so....

    Blessings and laughter! 1 + 1 = 1

    Hannah-Leigh

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh Jules, I love you and you can't go anywhere, I am counting on you editing all of my journals over the years including psychotic episode entries for publishing one day when we are old. Please give me more info... what stage are you?
    I love you I love you I love you.
    D

    ReplyDelete
  5. Julie,

    Thanks for sharing this with me. I am sorry to hear about the cancer, but I admire your coping.

    Reading this is like hearing you think. There's a lot to take in, but I'll take every word. You know this already, but you write beautifully.

    I don't know what I can offer across the miles, but give me a call to chat or if there is anything I can do for you. You offered me your ear for many a thoughtful call when I was in a bad place; I might be able to do the same.

    You mentioned being lucky to have your job and to work with people who like and respect you. I think they were lucky to get you and that anyone who meets you would be foolish not to like and respect you. You are a good catch! Just ask Jeff, the girls or any of the hundreds of people who love you.

    Your version of hope sounds worth any battle.

    Hugs and love,

    Kate

    And because I believe that doggie hugs are especially special, Lucie and Remy send their love, too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks, you people. It was just what I needed.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Julie, once the cancer is over & done with, I sure do hope you'll keep the blog going..some of it resonates deeply with me, some of it is completely foreign..but all of it sounds so wise, the words just roll off the page & into some elusive corner of my brain !
    I look forward to your updates, and am sending all the good karma I can gather..(the way I see it, god owes me this year)

    ReplyDelete
  8. PS: I'm really good at the sitting around & dreaming, but don't think I'm necessarily happier for it! I find that the smelly candles do help in their own small way, though..

    ReplyDelete
  9. As always, your writing is beautiful & you know how to write a kicker of a last line. Hoping everything goes well- and looking forward to reading more. xo

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hey.

    Let me know if you want me to get personal medical connections or pose any questions through my doctor-saturated family. My parents just left Oakland to temporarily move to Houston but we are still your two-city kin.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Buckethead! I had noooo idea.. and I am so sorry to hear this as well. Its not as if you were having it easy already with the 2 little girls... and then this.. Life can really throw you for a loop (as you used to say often). Please know my thoughts are with you and I will be following your blog as you go along. When it comes to finding rest/peace/quiet time, I know all about this problem as well. I either go out and play pool or soccer ;-) But some music (mellow) and some hot jasmine tea and (dare i say) a joint can really help me calm down and just be happy and content on the oouch. Watching senseless tv does a pretty good job of it as well. I sometimes can also get quite a creative egg out when i am feeling restless. Channel it, I say.
    Also, the thing you mention about the boat and gliding downstream.. I actually have a real boat which I boat through the canals with and it is the sinigular most relaxing thing I can do. I can spend all day on it, just putting around and enjoying the sights and just being on the water. So maybe an idea for you as well. Dont know if you're close to water and all that... but its definitely worth a consideration. It has changed my (inner spiritual restful) life completely! One of the best things I have ever done is get that boat. See my facebook picts for some impressions... Or, fly on over here and convince yourself! I'm thinkin of ya bucket x

    ReplyDelete