Tuesday, March 9, 2010

When You Reach the Top of the Mountain, Keep Climbing/When You Find Yourself in a Hole, Stop Digging

Tonight, I'm nostalgically looking forward to our move to the Santa Cruz Mountains. Is that possible? A. Possible to be nostalgic about the future; B. possible to actually build your own house at the end of a 1000-foot driveway (which needs to be built first)?

This move has been in the works since 2002. We are $8k away from owning the land free and clear. Joy! Joy! If I get denied tenure, we can buy an old Spartan Imperial Mansion (Google image that) and live like the filthy hippies we are underneath our skin-suits.

It's been so long since we last ripped pictures out of Dwell mag. (I know, so 2004), got baked and imagined the secret Moroccan room at the back of a double-sided fireplace. I could go into ecstasies just thinking about the mudroom off of the foyer (with separate entrance so I can shed my dirty forest-maintenance clothes right into the washer, then step into a shower, grab a robe and proceed like a queen into my lair.

For a long time, while we were super poor and infertile, the clock wasn't even ticking towards this goal. We'd decided that the day we had our last child, we would set the timer for five years forward.

Um. The girls are going to be two in June, and I'm just tonight waking up like an old bear in the springtime...Santa Cruz? Heh?

OH YEAH!

I guess this means that things are getting more manageable here in La Casa de Los Bernard?

Perhaps. Perhaps I'm just giddy because our tax refund is here.




(And screw thyroid cancer, by the way.)

2 comments:

  1. Sounds perfectly reasonable to me. I'm nostalgically looking forward to retiring to Palm Springs..and I've never even been there!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was thinking about your enchanted forest property yesterday. I dragged the boys to Santa Cruz to buy a $25 sixty year old sewing machine. Naturally, I got lost, so it took us three hours to get there. Ahem. I did treat them to the boardwalk, however, which they loved. I don't know--I think not getting tenure might be a good thing.

    ReplyDelete