Sunday, March 28, 2010

Thank God for Syd

Barrett, you know, the one who went crazy? The Pink Floyd guy? If there could be a soundtrack for our marriage...nothing else goes near it, even our favorites.

The girls go to grandma's tomorrow, for three days, while Jeff and I work on the house, and on being together, alone. Yes, they are amazing, and yes, I thank god for them, but I can't wait until they are off on their adventure and I can spread out on the bed and drink coffee with my man. We can do intricate things for hours without being interrupted. We can sleep and eat on our own schedule. We can play music, loud, at 2 a.m.

I will call her soon and tell her this, but I read my good friend Miah's novel (ok, I'm 2/3 of the way through it) after a long hiatus, and it's really good. It's the kind of good where you wouldn't understand why they would be anything other than a writer. Can you imagine having that kind of talent? I sort of can and can't.

I just want to write one good book before I die.

I'm happy for Miah, for more than two reasons.

And our good friends Joni and David had a healthy little girl named Caroline. They had the emotional space to send me a children's book called Uranus, as a joke, before (or after?!) she went into labor. It is on my mantel, next to a vase of lilacs from the yard, behind the old train cars.

I still spend a lot of time wondering how I'm going to spend about 50k I don't have.

1 comment:

  1. Maybe the 50k that you'll get as an advance for your upcoming good book..?

    ReplyDelete