Friday, June 20, 2014

Rebalancing

I'm finally able to take a breath, albeit one full of charcoal smoke in the Vietnamese city of Hai Phong, where I'm giving an ethics exam today.  I left for VN the day our house closed escrow, and since then, thanks to the miracle of online banking, have managed to settle all of the debts we've accumulated over the last six months.  Today, we are debt-free for the first time in years.  It feels really good, so good I just want to get right back into debt!

We found a house plan we like...except it's a barn.  I'm hoping that we can still make it work.

Speaking of barns, my mother's is almost framed in, and we're hoping we'll be in there by the end of July.  That will be a great transition for us, as we're already stepping all over each other in my mother's house.

I don't think I've really dealt with being moved and how it's going to affect my job.  The drive is so long, I'm just kind of in denial (Groucho Marx: "Denial is not a river in Egypt!") about it.  If I could come up with something productive to do in the car (like write a novel!), I would feel a lot better.  I will update on this.

The girls seem to be settling into life in the SC mountains just fine.  Jeff is happy.  I am happy.  Let's hope that next year will go as smoothly as possible.

Meanwhile, I will take a bite of my latest banh mi and visit a few more temples before I bust out of here.

No comments:

Post a Comment